• chevron_rightWhat Should I do if I encounter wildlife (fox, coyote, etc.)?

    Community Wildlife.  Please remember -- we share our land with many different forms of wildlife -- deer, opossums, squirrels, foxes, coyotes, raccoons, skunks, rabbits, feral cats, critters with long furless tails -- the list is endless. Wildlife are not pets and should be treated with both caution and the respect they deserve.  Please leave them alone if you see them. They are not to be petted. Their dens are not to be visited. They are not to be chased. They are not to be fed. In general, we can safely, and peacefully cohabitate and they will leave us alone. However, if you corner any wild animal, they may very well act out to protect themselves.


    Lately, we are seeing what seem to be many foxes.  In reality, there are probably 3-4 foxes in our community. The same foxes travel our entire area. Foxes are out during the day now foraging for food to feed their young.  The number of coyotes is unknown and their behavior far less predictable.  Give them a wide berth.  Do not leave your cats outside to roam. Do not leave your small dogs unattended.


    If and only if wildlife become aggressive then call Fairfax County Animal Protection Police (703-691-2131).

.How To Contact
  • chevron_rightHow To Contact Landsdowne
    We know you may have questions about the community and who should be contacted to answer them.  Below you will find different points of contact and the circumstances under which you would contact each one.

    1.  Our primary point of contact is FirstService Residential, our Community Management Company.  Contact FirstService with any questions you might have, such as: resale docs, dues, payments, rules, etc... through the First Service Residential customer care center at 703-385-1133.  The customer care center is staffed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

    The staff at the customer care center with FirstService Residential are equipped to respond to most questions you may have.  They can send basic forms like ARC (Architectural Review) applications and late fee waiver requests. Residents can also receive automated account information.  All calls that come in through the center are recorded and notes are kept in the call log for the protection of our residents.  If the inquiry cannot be resolved, then the open call goes to the dedicated Community Manager and he/she will respond or forward to the appropriate person in the Association.

    Residents may also contact the Community Manager directly by emailing manager@landsdowne.org

    2.  This website has a Contact Us page where you can get in touch with any of the committee chairpersons, the Board President, the entire Board of Directors, and our Community Association Manager (CAM) Marck Rossy.
    Even though a member of the Board of Directors may respond from a personal email, you should always email the official Landsdowne.org address to be sure your message is received by the appropriate person.

    3.  We invite you to join us for our monthly Board of Directors Meetings. The meetings are typically held on the second Wednesday of every month. We send an email notification the week before and the Monday before the meeting. If you have concerns that you would like to bring to the Board’s attention that are not already on our agenda, we hold our open/resident forum at the beginning of the meeting. If you would like to be a part of the conversation regarding an item that is on our agenda, we encourage an open discussion, however we may have to limit resident interaction due to time constraints.  If we cannot address your issue at the meeting, we will follow up with you at a later date.

    Official Committees of the Association hold periodic meetings and also have an open resident forum.  All residents are welcome to attend.  

    Please understand that all committees, including the Board of Directors and the Architectural Review Board are made up of residents of Landsdowne who have volunteered their time to serve our community.

    Unless expressly stated by the individual, please refrain from calling committee chairs, board members or other community volunteers directly.  If you need to conduct any business, you should always send an email to the official Landsdowne.org address indicated on the Contact Us page.
    We welcome your input as we all work together to make Landsdowne a great community!
  • chevron_rightI’ve lost (or found) a pet. Now what?
    First, we encourage everyone to register their pet on our Pet Directory.  The pet's photo(s) and description may be listed there.

    If your pet is missing or if you find a pet, let us know as soon as possible.  Send a message to Communications on the Contact Us Page. Include a full description, photo if possible, and your contact information.  We will put out an email blast to get your pet back where they belong quickly.

    Next, contact the Alexandria Animal Welfare League (http://alexandriaanimals.org/) and the Fairfax County Animal Shelter (http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/animalshelter/) with a full description.  You are also permitted to post fliers around the neighborhood with the understanding all fliers must be removed as soon as the pet is located or returned home.

    We are a pet loving community and know the heartbreak of a lost pet. Follow these simple steps and you will find many of your friends and neighbors in Landsdowne ready to assist you.
  • chevron_rightIs livestock allowed in Landsdowne?
    No livestock (chickens, roosters, goats, sheep, cows, pigs, ponies or any other animal designated as livestock) is permitted as pets or as part of a personal urban farming initiative within the confines of Landsdowne.
    The rules regarding livestock are set by Fairfax County zoning code and Landsdowne is obligated to comply with those zoning requirements.

    No exceptions can be made for any kind of livestock, including chickens.
  • chevron_rightHow do we communicate with our residents?
    We communicate through numerous channels and strive to keep our residents informed on all issues affecting our community.  Primary communication tools include:
    • Email communications tailored to specific issues, events, and news.  The subject line will let you know what the message contains.  We try to limit our messages to once or twice a week.  Based on results of surveys of our residents, we understand that email is the preferred method of communication.  
    • Community Message Boards (eSigns).  This is our secondary source of communication with signs located near the community entrance on View Lane and another at the intersection of View Lane and Morning View Lane.  The signs display short messages concerning community meetings and need to know information.
    • The Beulah Corridor publication is printed monthly by Marlborough Publishing.  We have the option to submit a featured column each month that includes information pertaining to Landsdowne.
    • The monthly HOA and Board Meetings are held at the Kingstowne Center for Active Adults located in the Landsdowne Centre beside the library.  We meet the second Wednesday of each month at 7:00 pm.  Everyone is welcome to attend, whether you are an owner or a renter.  This is where the business of Landsdowne is discussed and residents can participate in the open resident forum at the start of each meeting.
    • US Mail service.  Typically, only items required to be mailed by our Landsdowne Governing Documents are sent by US Mail.  This includes Our Annual Meeting Notification and Proxy documents, as well as official financial information (your account status) and the Landsdowne Community Budget.  
    At the present time we do not use flyers for dissemination of information.

    Should you have questions or concerns about communications, please use our Contact Us form and send to Communications.
  • chevron_rightHow do I find out specific information concerning my residence?
    The best place to go is First Service Residential Website. (https://dcmetro.fsrconnect.com/landsdowne).  You will need to register for the service, but once there you can find information on your financial account, residence, community forms, documents and more.
  • chevron_rightHow do I order a resale package?
    A resale package may be ordered directly from FirstService Residential (https://www.fsresidential.com/virginia/resale-and-lender-documents) or by calling (703-385-1133) and speaking with their Customer Service Department.  There is a cost associated with the resale package.
  • chevron_rightWhere do I mail my HOA dues and how much are they?
    You should receive a coupon book for payments in December of each year.  If you do not receive one or if you lose your coupon book, please contact FirstService Customer Service at 703-385-1133. If you are registered for Direct Debit payment of your dues, you will not receive a coupon payment book.

    To pay by check, you will need your Landsdowne Account Number on your check.  Without your Landsdowne account number and/or a coupon, your payment may be rejected.  Lack of a coupon booklet does not excuse you from paying your dues.  Mail to:

    Landsdowne Community Association
    c/o FS Residential
    PO Box 11983
    Newark, NJ  07101-4983

    Contact FirstService Residential for more specific information about your HOA dues at 703-385-1133.
  • chevron_rightWhy do single family homes pay lower dues than townhouses?
    Townhouse owners receive more services from the community than single family home owners. Landsdowne periodically reviews the services that it provides and who benefits from them. Everyone benefits from trash pick up, the swimming pool, tennis courts, grass mowing on View and Morning View and common area grounds care. However, single family homes do not benefit from the maintenance of the community streets that townhouses are on, grass mowing around the townhouses, landscaping around townhouses and snow plowing of townhouse streets. As a result, townhouses receive more Landsdowne resources and they pay more dues.
Fire Works Displays
First Service Residential (Management Company)
  • chevron_rightMay I remove a tree that is located on my own property?
    Yes, you may remove, at your expense, trees and shrubs located directly and completely on your own property, without permission, with the following guidelines.  Any damage to your home, adjoining property, or common ground is your responsibility to repair.

    1. The tree must be located entirely on your private property.
    2. A licensed and insured professional tree service must be used to remove the tree.
    3. Full stump grinding must be performed of tree removal, within 2 weeks of the tree removal.
    4. Restorative landscaping must be performed to cover the tree location after removal.
    5. Any replacement trees must be reviewed by the Landsdowne Landscaping Committee prior to planting, unless it is a like replacement.

    For additional information, please feel free to contact the Landscaping Committee on our Contact Us page.
  • chevron_rightWhat is the Fairfax County Noise Ordinance?
    Landsdowne guidelines are in compliance with all Fairfax County laws concerning noise.  After reviewing the Fairfax County information below, if you wish to issue a noise complaint, please contact the Fairfax County Police Non-Emergency Number at 703-691-2131.  You must make the complaint yourself.  The Landsdowne Board cannot make the complaint on your behalf.  You may request to remain anonymous.

    Fairfax County residents and businesses are reminded that they must comply with the county’s noise ordinance and are encouraged to report any violations that directly affect them.

    The Fairfax County Code states that violations of the noise ordinance are punishable as a misdemeanor offense. Violators may receive a sentence of imprisonment not to exceed 6 months or by a fine not to exceed $1,000.00 or both.

    Further information can be found on the Fairfax County website here:
Postal Service Issues
  • chevron_rightI have lost my mailbox key - now what?
    The community mailboxes belong to the US Postal Service.  If you lose your key, you must contact the Post Office directly and complete a Replacement Lock and Key Form.  Normally there is a fee involved with getting a replacement key.  Our local post office contact information is below:

    Kingstowne Post Office
    5900 Barclay Drive
    Alexandria, VA  22315
Snow Services
  • chevron_rightDo snow removal services cover parking spots and sidewalks?
    There is no contract in place to perform snow removal on community sidewalks or walking trails.  
    Residents are responsible for snow removal on their own residential and common area sidewalks in front of their own homes.

    Residents are responsible for shoveling out their own parking spaces in the townhouse sections.

    You are not permitted to put cones or other barriers in a shoveled space.  However, we ask all residents to please be courteous and not park in a space clearly cleaned by another neighbor.
  • chevron_rightWho is responsible for snow removal?
    Landsdowne has a snow treatment and snow removal contract in place for sanding and snow removal services for all Landsdowne streets, both single family homes and townhouse residences.

    Snow removal services will generally begin somewhere between 2 and 4 inches snow accumulation or when significant ice is accumulating.  Actual conditions, rather than forecasted conditions, will dictate services provided and the timetable.

    In the single family homes, the service provider will plow to the curb if cars do not block their blade path.  On days when snow is in the forecast, please park your cars in your driveway.
    The service provider will plow travel lanes only in the townhouse area and other partially obstructed streets.
    View Lane and Morning View Lane are County controlled streets and are plowed on a priority basis determined by VDOT.
  • chevron_rightMy property has been damaged by solicitors - what now?
    A frequent issue we hear about when solicitors enter our community is storm door damage.  The solicitor places a flyer but does not completely close the storm door.  Wind can catch the door and cause significant damage.

    In the event your storm door is damaged as a direct result of solicitation pieces left in your door, we suggest you call the Police Non-Emergency Number (703-691-2131) and file a police report.  Be sure to save the flyer.

    Also contact the soliciting company and suggest they have their insurance provider contact you to pay for any damages.  This may or may not bring satisfaction, but it is worth a try.
  • chevron_rightWhat does a Fairfax County Solicitation License look like?
    Some solicitors are sanctioned by Fairfax County and are properly licensed.  Following is a link to the Fairfax County site regarding solicitation licenses:

  • chevron_rightWhat is the Landsdowne Solicitation Policy?
    Solicitation is seldom permitted within the boundaries of Landsdowne.  Exceptions are political candidates and religious organizations, which are protected by law.  Occasionally, special permission is granted to businesses and organizations to do limited solicitation (such as the Scouts and area school organizations).  Permission is granted on a case by case basis through the Landsdowne Board of Directors and is for a limited duration.  If you have a question, please contact the Board of Directors or Neighborhood Watch (using the Contact Us page).

    Signs are clearly posted at both major community entrances, and at the entry point to each street in Landsdowne.  The signs clearly state our No Solicitation Policy.  If you are bothered by a solicitor, inform them of our No Solicitation Policy and please ask them politely to leave your premises.  They are obligated to comply.  If they do not, please call the Fairfax Police Non-Emergency Number (703-691-2131) to file a complaint.  If you call meets with resistance by the call taker, please contact any BOD member, immediately.

    All townhouse streets and sidewalks are owned by, and maintained by the Landsdowne Community Association.  No solicitors, with or without a license are permitted at any time, for any reason, unless prior notice has been given to the community of their presence.

    The streets and sidewalks on all single family home sections belong to, and are maintained by, VDOT/Fairfax County.  Solicitors are permitted on those sidewalks and streets.  Once they cross the sidewalk onto your property, they can be considered trespassers and can remain there only with your permission.
Traffic Related Questions
  • chevron_rightWhat is the Virginia Code that applies to our stop sign intersections?
    According to Virginia § 46.2-821: Vehicles before entering certain highways shall stop or yield right-of-way.

    The driver of a vehicle approaching an intersection on a highway controlled by a stop sign shall, immediately before entering such intersection, stop at a clearly marked stop line, or, in the absence of a stop line, stop before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection, or, in the absence of a marked crosswalk, stop at the point nearest the intersecting roadway where the driver has a view of approaching traffic on the intersecting roadway. Before proceeding, he shall yield the right-of-way to the driver of any vehicle approaching on such other highway from either direction.

    Where a "Yield Right-of-Way" sign is posted, the driver of a vehicle approaching or entering such intersection shall slow down to a speed reasonable for the existing conditions, yield the right-of-way to the driver of another vehicle approaching or entering such intersection from another direction, and, if required for safety, shall stop at a clearly marked stop line, or, in the absence of a stop line, stop before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersecting roadway where the driver has a view of approaching traffic on the intersecting roadway, and shall yield the right-of-way to the driver of any vehicle approaching on such other highway from either direction.

    (Code 1950, §§ 46-238, 46-255; 1952, c. 666; 1954)
  • chevron_rightDoes Trash Away provide service on government holidays that fall on our regular pick up days?
    Please see the Trash Away holiday schedule here:  http://www.trashaway.com/hoas.html
  • chevron_rightHazardous Waste Removal
    Trash Away, our trash removal service provider will not remove hazardous waste. Any hazardous waste must be taken for proper disposal to the I-95 Household Hazardous Waste Site, 9850 Furnace Road, Lorton, VA  22079.  It is about a 15 minute drive from Landsdowne.

    For complete details on what is considered hazardous waste, and how to properly dispose of it, please check the link that follows:  https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/publicworks/recycling-trash/household-hazardous-waste  
  • chevron_rightHow do I get a new recycling bin or lidded trash container?
    Please contact Trash Away (703.339.4560).

    Each household was issued a bin for recycling when Trash Away began service for us in 2006.  They should convey with any house sale.  All trash containers remain the property of Trash Away.  We suggest each resident clearly mark both their trash container and recycling bins with their house numbers.
  • chevron_rightI need assistance in removing items not taken by Trash Away. Who do I call for a special pickup?
    Large furniture items, appliances, grills, large metal items, construction debris and other bulk or large items require a special pickup.  With some items there may be additional cost that is the responsibility of the resident requesting the service.

    We have two resources for such removal services.  Please call either of the services below to schedule your pick up and to discuss any fees.  When you call, please be sure to tell them you are from Landsdowne.
    Trash Away:  703.339.4560
    R L Hughes and Son (Jon Hughes):  703.965.3928 or RLHughesandSon@gmail.com

    Please do not simply place these items on the curb for removal.  Doing so may result in a fine, being called before the Landsdowne Board of Directors, as well as removal costs being passed directly back to the resident responsible.
  • chevron_rightWhat are our trash pick up days and what time may I place out trash?
    Trash is picked up every Monday and Thursday.  Properly bagged trash should be placed out no earlier than 6:00 p.m. the evening before our regularly scheduled pick up days.  Regular household trash should be bagged (preferably in black trash bags) or placed in lidded trash receptacles.  We suggest, to cut down on visits by area wildlife, that you place trash out early the morning of the actual trash day, if possible.

    Yard debris should be placed in large Kraft (paper) bags or clear plastic bags only.  Our trash provider does not commingle yard debris and regular trash.  They will not open black bags to see what is actually contained therein.  Please follow these guidelines to make our trash pick up easy and efficient.  Limbs must be tied in bundles with limbs no longer than 4 feet in length and 2 feet in diameter and weighing no more than 50 pounds per bundle.
  • chevron_rightWhat if my move out date does not fall on a pick up date?
    You may contact the Community Manager at manager@landsdowne.org to inform them that you need special exception due to your move out date.  The Community Manager will determine and let you know if an exception can be made.
  • chevron_rightWhat type of trash is picked up on which day?
    Monday trash pickup includes yard waste (lawn clippings, leaves, plant materials, brush tied in small bundles no longer than 4 feet in length and 2 feet in diameter and weighing no more than 50 pounds per bundle).  Plant materials that cannot be bundled must be placed in brown paper bags designed for yard waste only.  Plant material placed in black bags may not be taken.  If you use a grounds company for your yard and lawn care, please let them know you are only permitted to place bagged lawn clippings out Sunday evening after 6:00 p.m.  If service is provided mid-week, the contractor must remove the debris themselves or you must keep the bagged grass clippings out of sight on your own property until Sunday evening each week.
    Monday trash pick up also includes regular household trash placed in a lidded container marked for trash or plastic trash bags designed for regular household trash.  We suggest black trash bags because they are less appealing to area wildlife.
    Thursday trash pickup includes regular household trash as on Monday and commingled recycling (including plastic, paper, metal, cardboard).  Cardboard is designated by Fairfax County as an item required to be recycled in Fairfax County.  It will not be taken with regular household trash and will only be picked up on recycling day.  Glass is not recycled in Fairfax County. It may be placed with regular household trash or taken to one of the disposal bins. Found on the Fairfax county website A bin is provided for household recycling items.  If you find you have a large amount of items for recycling on a regular basis, we suggest you purchase a lidded trash can and mark it clearly for recycling.   
  • chevron_rightWho is our trash removal provider?
    Trash service is provided by Trash Away (www.trashaway.com), located in Lorton, Virginia.   Their contact number is 703.339.4560.