Good Evening Landsdowne,
Please take a few moments to check out what’s happening around our community.
November Board Meeting
Join us for our monthly board meeting this Wednesday, November 14 starting at 7 pm at the Kingstowne Center for Active Adults, located next to the Kingstowne Library in Landsdowne Center. This is the time to be involved in our community business. It is also the time to hear your ideas, suggestions, questions, and concerns. We hope to see you there!
- Did you know our weekly emails are now posted on our website each week under "What's New"? Check it out now.
- If you see something, please say something. If you see or hear potentially suspicious activity, call the Fairfax County Police Non-Emergency Number 703-691-2131. If you see a crime in progress, call 911 immediately. The police do not release the identity of those calling an issue. Do not be embarrassed if what you see or hear turns out to be nothing. It is the responsibility of the police to sort things out. Your calls bring more attention to our community. Police resources are dedicated first to the areas with the most real or perceived need
- .'Tis the season for more packages and holiday travel. It is also the time porch pirates like to shop for their holiday giving from your porch. If you are expecting packages, you might consider asking a friend or neighbor to keep a lookout and hold them until your return.
- If you are traveling, put lights on timers, leave front and rear porch lights on, and ask a neighbor or two to keep an eye on your home, along with instructions for how to reach you while you’re away in the event of any emergencies. It is also a good idea to leave a key with someone, too.
Community Leaf Collection Day: Saturday, November 17
The LCA Board and Landscaping Committee are happy to be once again offering this service to our residents on November 17 and December 15. Premium Lawn and Landscape will once again be assisting us with this service. The leaves are beginning to fall all over Landsdowne, whether you have a tree or not.
The "need to know" rules to follow are simple. Please take a few minutes to review them:
- Premium will be in Landsdowne beginning early in the morning on Saturday to start the process. There are many streets to cover and they make many passes throughout the community to assure most leaves are removed.
- All leaves must be ready for pickup by 1 pm at the latest. The last pass will begin at that time. Your leaves will be removed even if they have previously been down your street as long as they are there by 1 pm.
- Leaves must be raked into the street (not on sidewalks, on the curb, or in your driveway) and may not be blocked by any vehicles. Please do not block the mailboxes (private or community) for pickup or your mail will not be delivered.
- We will be notifying the US Postal Service of this event. We know this is an inconvenience for mail delivery. Our mail carrier often gets a little "testy" on these event days. Please accept his frustration for what it is — just that — frustration. Please remember he has a job to do on a schedule and Landsdowne is a mobile carrier route, not a walking route.
- Leaf piles located between parked cars will also not be picked up due to the potential damage to vehicles. The huge vacuum needs great maneuverability and access to do the job.
- Bagged leaves will not be taken with the Saturday community-wide cleanup.
- This collection is for leaves only; not branches or other yard debris.
- In the townhome areas, if possible, please rake your piles to a central location at the end of each row for easiest removal. Leaves raked into piles in regular parking spaces (to the front or side of parked cars) will not be taken, especially if the space on either side is not also open.
- Regardless of where the piles are created, please do not allow the piles to become so large that they impede traffic flow.
- If you pile your leaves into the street, please be cautious and aware that they are magnets for kids and pets who love to jump into and play in them. Keep a watchful eye at all times. You will also need to re-rake any leaves that are used for play areas.
- The crews always appreciate water or snacks. They work very hard to get our leaves removed.
Landscaping@landsdowne.org will be happy to answer any questions you might have. If you have any specific questions on the day of leaf collection, please text or call 571-237-5813.
We Need Your Input -- Final Call
Planning events that will appeal to the greatest number of residents is a challenge, too. Please take a few minutes to complete our online 2019 events questionnaire by clicking here
. This is your chance to let us know what might be fun. It should take only a few minutes to complete the survey. The questionnaire will remain open until Tuesday, November 13.
Events Committee (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Our 10th Annual Treats for the Troops Extra Halloween Candy Drop Off on November 1 was a huge success. Over 175 pounds of candy will be delivered to area military hospitals, and well as be sent to our troops overseas.
Thanks to Kathryn I, Michael K, Evita R, and our kid volunteers for donating community service hours to help sort the amazing amount of candy received. Thanks also to Pam Eichhorn, Lori Gonzalez, Margaret Flanagan, Susan Kelly, Joyce Mears, Cindi Potter, and Karen Singh who pitched in, too. Sincere thanks to all our community members who never cease to step up, to donate, and to show Landsdowne is a community filled with huge hearts.
Our annual Christmas Tree Lighting Party is fast approaching. Would you be interested also having a cookie swap? If so, or if you would like more information, please email us at the events committee email above with the subject “Cookie Swap.”
As always, if you have any comments or questions you can contact us at:
Visit us on Facebook
Our community website
E-mail the entire Board of Directors
E-mail the Board President
Landsdowne Community Association